CEO Designate – Australian Shareholders’ Association ASA
Location: Sydney CBD
Reporting Structure: Initially reporting to the current CEO and ultimately to the ASA Board
Reports: The ASA office currently has 7 staff members
About the ASA
The ASA is Australia's largest independent NFP shareholder association and has representation in all States of Australia.
The ASA is a company limited by guarantee and is funded entirely by membership subscription, donations, and sponsorship.
No government funding is provided.
The ASA represents both its members and those shareholders who are not members but follow the ASA through various means with a view to ASA promoting and safeguarding their interests in the Australian equity capital markets.
The Board's Vision for the ASA to ensure its longer-term sustainability is
• to be the premier voice of Australian retail shareholders,
• developing relevant policy and monitoring corporate governance as it relates to Australian companies, and
• delivering relevant education programs and materials for its members and the broader community of retail shareholders and investors.
About the Role
The current CEO has signaled his intention to step down at the end of 2021. The successful applicant will work with the current CEO during a transition period to ensure they gain a detailed understanding of the Association prior to moving into the CEO position.
The primary objectives of the CEO position are:
• To provide visionary and creative leadership and direction to the Association.
• To shape strategic organisational thinking, inspiring a sense of purpose and direction, recognising opportunities to enhance the Association’s capacity to provide quality services and increase membership.
• To advise the Board on issues relating to all strategic activities and minimise any impact on the implementation and achievement of the Strategic Plan.
• To be the lead voice of the ASA as an advocate of retail shareholders and investors and be the ASA's primary media spokesperson and advocate for constructive change.
• To develop & manage the Association’s human resources, including volunteers, as a key element of the effective delivery of the Association’s Strategic Plan.
• Control income & expenditure such that the Association remains financially healthy.
During the transition phase it is anticipated that the successful applicant will take a “hands on role” in order to understand the detail of the operation and begin the implementation of changes they would propose, while the current CEO focuses on the marketing and education agenda. After the transition roles would change with the designate leading the strategic developments/changes and becoming established as the face of ASA.
Applicants should be able to clearly demonstrate experience in the following:
• Driving organisational growth (revenue and/or member numbers), ideally in the context of a membership organisation.
• Successfully Driving Organisational / Cultural Change.
• Leadership Capacity:
Understanding team skills / capabilities & identifying development opportunities.
Motivating the Team.
Making the “difficult calls” recognising the limited resource availability.
• Managing Board expectations - You have guided a board through change regarding an issue or process over which the Board has concerns.
• Strategic development and delivery.
• Marketing Strategy creation and delivery to grow an association/ industry brand.
• Corporate Governance, policy development, including liaison/consultation and negotiation with government/regulators.
• Previous CEO experience and/or senior general management, including experience running a P&L;
• Experience with or a strong interest in investing, providing a clear connection with retail shareholder membership base.
• Experience in media interaction, public speaking and debating with good skills in preparing submissions to government and quasi government bodies.
The following experience will be highly regarded:
• Experience or deep understanding in managing diverse range of functions within a NFP or member based peak body/association including volunteer engagement and management.
• Relevant tertiary qualifications in a business related discipline are preferred, with high regard being paid to additional studies in management and governance.
What's in it for you?
Remuneration package of $180k plus bonus in line with driving an improved financial position.
The Australian Shareholders' Association was for many years, an organisation that has operated on tradition and a conservative business model. This is changing and the Board is looking for a leader who can significantly help in continuing the association’s growth. This is a good opportunity to be part of major ongoing change.
Please email Alison Buxton care of email@example.com